Search This Blog

Sunday, August 15, 2010

From the Editors Desk - Phone Call From Ellie Price

August 15, 2010


This afternoon the phone rang and my wife answered... after a brief conversation she handed me the phone. On the other end of the line was Ellie Price (BHS Class of 1951) of Charlotte, North Carolina, formerly of the Lucknow area of Lee County.


He was calling about the Paul Pope/CCC camp story I had originally posted in Natives back on August 7, 2006 and reposted just recently.  

It seems that Ellie's brother-in-law, James Segars, who is married to his sister Louise, was in the same camp and remembers Paul Pope, the others in the camp and a good many stories about camp life.  

We had a good conversation during which I promised Ellie that I would call James to get his version of life in the Civilian Conservation Corp in the early 1940's. 

Later that same afternoon I received an e-mail from Ellie which contained a copy of a note sent to member's of his family, but before I get to that I feel I need to add something he wrote that is very interesting and may be the source for another story later on. 

Ellie mentions his older sister Glenn Carter, who lives in Camden and Gilbert and Ruby Baker of Bishopville. Ellie claims Gilbert as a relative, explaining that they are first cousins on his mother's side of the family. 

Anyway, Ellie wrote: "Glenn, with another sister Louise, (Segars), worked for several years during WW2 at the Charleston Naval Base, where they served as typists and other clerical work. She can tell you a lot about that part of her life. Her daughter Shelley Stephens, and husband Earl, now live in the old home place on Lucknow Rd.'

Here is the entire e-mail James sent me. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did

_______________________________________

Hi John,

I enjoyed talking to you this afternoon. Here's what I sent out to my family about James's memory of his time in the CCC camp.

"Glenn" is my older sister Glenn Carter, who lives in Camden. I sent this out to other family members as well, including Gilbert and Ruby Baker of Bishopville. Gilbert is my first cousin on my mother's side. I'll be looking forward to any followup you may post on your website.

Ellie

PS I first called another John Reames, who still lives on the Lucknow Rd. near our old homeplace. I used to carpool with him and others to Dupont in 1952. His wife Jean gave me your number.

******************

Glenn,

I just had a long conversation with James S. about Paul Pope and the CCC camp near Bishopville. He remembered Paul and the other cook well and the name of his commander, Mr Scurry, and his foreman, Mr. Watson. James was in the CCC for about a year and drove several trucks to haul the men around to different farms. It's really amazing how much he remembers about his time there about '41 or '42. He says it was "a good thing", and should be done again so young people could be put to useful work. He named a lot of names and remembered the two men who married sisters. He also remembered twin boys who worked with them.

He told me he visited his brother Eldridge a few days ago and talked with him about the civilian conservation corps. He lives down near Barnwell I believe and was in the same camp as James at the same time. He is now about 87 years old and not in very good health. I printed out the article to give James when I see him. If you want to call him he can tell you a lot of interesting things. He especially liked driving those trucks and said Mr. Watson never knew how little he knew about driving. Somehow he must have sensed that James was very trustworthy and a good driver because they drove together to Rock HIll and Lancaster and several other places to pick up trucks from other camps, some of them new. He said he actually closed up the camp after taking everyone home in one of the trucks. He parked the truck by the office, put the key in a slot and walked home, about three miles away.

Ellie



No comments:

Word of the Day

Snap Shots

Get Free Shots from Snap.com