Search This Blog

Saturday, March 07, 2009

Love - Support - Prayer

Everyone knows that with the passage of time coupled with the change in lifestyles not to mention the distance that separates, the ties that once secured friendships are hard to maintain.

Such is the case with my childhood friend and former high school classmate Susan ‘Scurry’ Chappell, whom I had not seen for close to fifty years until the 2008 Gathering of the Classes Reunion in Bishopville.

It was a warm, humid Saturday night in the waning days of July that I did something, which to the best of my memory I had not done before. I asked an old friend to dance with me. Yes we danced… no, we shagged much to my enjoyment.

I recount this memory with you because I have sad news. Susan has recently been diagnosed as having Lou Gehrig's disease. Lou Gehrig’s disease is a disorder that's also called amyotrophic lateral sclerosis or ALS. According to the ALS Association this is a disease that causes damage to nerve cells that control muscle movement. Over time, Lou Gehrig's disease causes these nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord to shrink and disappear so that the muscles no longer receive signals to move. As a result, the muscles become smaller and weaker.

Knowing this I pray for my friend. Susan will need the love; the support and the prayers of all her friends in the coming days. 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

God Bless Susan. We will remember she and her family in our prayers.

Do you have contact information for her:

Joyce Walters Waldroop
Denver, CO

John Reames said...

SUSAN 'SCURRY' CHAPPELL
912 Oak St NW
Aiken, SC 29801
803-649-6940
suechap@bellsouth.net

Word of the Day

Snap Shots

Get Free Shots from Snap.com