Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Sad News mixed with Good News



Kathryn 'Latimer' Welch writes:

The Dairo has closed after more than 50+ years of providing Lee County citizens with the best chicken to be found anywhere. Jake Boykin has been operating the Dairo for several years. His father, Eddie, was killed in a tractor accident 2 years ago. His mother, Eunice, died several months later.

The classes of 1965-1968 are planning a reunion on June 13 at the Opera House. The Gerald Davis Law Firm is providing the band, Riptide. Gerald is a member of the class of 1967. Cost is $10.00 per person and must be paid by April 1. Class representatives for the reunion are Retta Tindal, Jim Baker, Kathryn Welch, and Birt Frazier.

Editor's note: Thanks Kathryn, speaking for myself I credit the Dairo for my survival and that of our (Irene's and mine) dog Mitzi.... if not for the thousands Milk Shakes, Hot Dogs and Hamburgers I would have starved to death... of course I always could have gone to the DuBose or McLeod's Drug store's and stocked up on the vittles. Mitzi on the other hand would somehow escape the confines of our yard and find her way to the Dairo where she would entertain Miss Eunice and her customers by doing tricks for her treat of a cone of ice cream. Miss Eunice would call mother and she would send one of us down to retrieve our poor starving pup!
How many of you remember Mrs. Stewart's little Hamburger shop across from the ball field on North Main Street?

4 comments:

Irene said...

Boy, do I remember "Miss Stewart's"!!! She made the best chili burgers in town. Raley's came in a close 2nd. YUMMY, I can just taste one now!!!

I was sorry to hear about the Dairi-O. It was on our way to and from school, so you just know I had to stop by daily for my favorite "Hot Butterscotch Sundae". We still are not sure who ate the most ice cream, me or Mitzi. She didn't tell me everytime she went down there for her "treat", so it will remain a mystery.

Pam Jordan Clemons said...

My personal favorites from the Dairi-O were the Cherry Smash, which I do not believe has ever been duplicated anywhere else, and those little white paper souffle cups filled with shredded lettuce and some kind of homemade salad dressing that has also never been duplicated. Boy, I wish I had a Cherry Smash right now!!!

Pam Jordan Clemons said...

My personal favorites from the Dairi-O were the Cherry Smash, which I do not believe has ever been duplicated anywhere else, and those little white paper souffle cups filled with shredded lettuce and some kind of homemade salad dressing that came in the fried chicken basket, which has also never been duplicated. Boy, I wish I had a Cherry Smash right now!!!

John Reames said...

Pam, I had forgotten about the Cherry Smash! One of my favorite drinks... it actually had chunks of real Cherries in it... what a wonderful memory and drink!!! Thanks for remembering...

Word of the Day

Snap Shots

Get Free Shots from Snap.com